Professional Appliqué Techniques to Use on Plush Fabrics
Most embroiderers love appliqué designs. Appliqué can be used when a large embroidery design is needed but using a high stitch count design is not feasible. Appliqué can also be used to tame thick plush fabrics; such as terry cloth, fake fur and plush velour. In my embroidery business I add appliqué frames in combination with beautiful monograms to lounge chair towels, blankets and baby items. Here are some helpful techniques for creating professional looking appliqué when stitching on plush fabrics.
- Pre-wash all appliqué fabric before embroidering.
- Use a fusible light weight interfacing to the wrong side of appliqué fabric.
- Match the satin stitch thread to your background fabric.
- Test the appliqué design on similar fabric before stitching to check the density and quality of design. Adjust design in software if necessary.
- Place the embroidery hoop on a clean flat surface when trimming the excess fabric.
Learn more in my Craftsy class; How to Start a Home Embroidery Business with Marie Zinno.
Click here for a $10 coupon.